Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pasta Fagioli aka fazool


UPDATE: Thanks to all who buzzed this awesome recipe, It's made the top 9 www.foodbuzz.com
 
Good morning yall. I've been wanting to publish this recipe for quite some time, but it seems life and work have really gotten in the way. If you've never had pasta fagioli and you call yourself a connoisseur of Italian cuisine you are a total fraud! This soup epitomizes Italian comfort food. It's a delicious dish with modest ingredients and humble beginnings.  Pasta fazool as it's called in the U.S. is one of my all time favorite soups and literally means pasta and beans. While I was writing this recipe I was blogging about the process. I promised Tess from Slow Cooking Kitchen I would let her know as soon as it was ready. This is for you Tess! 
INGREDIENTS: 
1tbs butter
1tbs evoo (olive oil)
2 carrots chopped
2 celery chopped
1 large onion chopped
4-6 cloves of garlic - thinly sliced or minced 
1/2 sprig fresh rosemary - chopped
5 sprigs fresh thyme - separate leaves
1 bay leaf
2 pinches of dried oregano
1 can pureed san marzano tomatoes
1/2 cup water - to rinse the can of tomatoes
1 quart chicken or veg stock (4 cups)
1 can kidney beans - rinsed & divided  
1 can ramano beans - rinsed & divided
1 cup (spelt) Tubetti rigati - small pasta or whatever small pasta you like
parmesan rind + 1/2 cup grated - more for serving
PREP: Chop all veg. Puree the tomatoes - just place immersion blender into the can and slowly pulse until smooth. For beans puree 1/2 before adding to the soup (this creates a beautiful creamy texture). 
COOK: In a large soup pot add butter and evoo and begin to sautee onion & garlic. After 5 mins add the fresh and dried herbs + a pinch of s&p. After another minute or so add the carrots and celery. Cook down for another 5 mins before adding tomato puree, water, stock & parmesan rind. Bring mixture to the boil (about 8-10 mins). Then add your pasta and cook covered for 5 mins. Oncover and add all of the beans (pureed and whole). Cook on a low simmer for another 10 mins or so. Add parmesan and enjoy. 
SERVE: With a drizzle of good quality evoo, a sprinkle of parmesan and crusty bread! YUM

14 comments:

  1. I love a good bowl of pasta e fagioli - it is indeed comforting! And so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 11, 2012

    That looks positively delicious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite soups - yours looks absolutely delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I'm not Italian, I love the cuisine. I'll have to replicate this. Also, congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Please do try the recipe, it's really simple and delicious! Let me know how you like it.

      Delete
  5. I am not normally the biggest fan of tomato-based soups, but this looks incredible and so comforting. I think I may have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jaime, OMGosh, you remembered, I'm so happy, lol ... thank you very kindly, I can't wait to try this =)) xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buzzzz!! Great post and lovely photo. You deserve a buzz today. Good Luck with this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, It actually made the top 9 over the weekend http://www.foodbuzz.com/top9?date=2012-05-12&number=7#s

      Delete
  8. Mmmm, looks so good. I'm a big soup fan, this is going on the to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is seriously drool inducing. What a wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore fagioli. I'm going to have to make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic soup! I'm a big fan of soups, so I can't wait to try this out when the weather is a bit cooler.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!