Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Mothers Day rhubarb & red plum scones


 It was a sunny beautiful mothers day in Toronto. I spent my day cooking (obviously) for my own mother. Planning the brunch menu was kind of difficult because my mom hates runny egg yolk, which eliminated 90 percent of the gourmand breakfasts I had in mind. After racking my brain I decided to go with a delicious go to brunch item tortilla espanola also known as tortilla de patatas. It's a very simple Spanish dish consisting of eggs, caramelized onions, & paprika fried potatoes. I also served my fabulous kale salad, which I promise to post once the photos are ready, but today is all about my new yogurt scone recipe. You can use 3/4 cup of berries or dried  fruit in this recipe if you like, I used some leftover rhubarb & plum compote and the outcome was amazing. Using yogurt instead of milk gives these scones a light chewy texture kind of  a hybrid between an English muffin & a scone. This simple quick recipe is a must try at your next brunch gathering. They key is to keep the butter cold and handle these as little as possible.

* I will post the recipe for the compote later this week.


INGREDIENTS: make about 6-8 large scones
2 cups ap (all purpose) flour
2 tsp baking powder 
3 tbs sugar  
1tsp cardamom 
1/2 cup butter - cold & grated (about 1/4 large stick)
pinch of salt 
2 eggs - 1 for egg wash 
3/4 cup plain yogurt 
1/3 cup rhubarb & plum compote - can substitute other fruit jam 
handful chopped rhubarb - optional 
coarse sugar - optional 


PREP: Pre heat oven to 350. 
Line baking sheet with parchment or silpat mat if you have.
Sift flour, sugar, salt, cardamom & baking powder, then add grated butter. Toss mixture lightly with your fingers. In a separate bowl beat egg then add yogurt & compote or fruit. Combine the two until they just come together. Spoon mixture on to baking sheet into flattened rounds. Brush each scone with egg wash & a sprinkle of coarse sugar.
BAKE: for 10-15  mins (until firm) 
NOTE: I baked for 13 mins at 325, but my oven is hot and extremely temperamental. 





10 comments:

  1. Debra AlexanderMay 14, 2012

    All I can say is that they are SCRUMTACULOUS!!!!! It's a word that I heard on a tv commercial for something that couldn't possibly be as yummy as these scones are.....I'm just about to eat the last one! Steven gives them a two thumbs way up too as well as your Tortilla Espanola which was devoured by Sam and him yesterday afternoon....Thank you again Jaime for the most wonderful mother's day brunch and for a lovely afternoon xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you have it folks straight form the source, and I didn't even bribe her with scone to write that. Thanks Mom xo

      Delete
    2. Debra AlexanderMay 14, 2012

      But you could bribe me with those scones any day of the week :)

      Delete
  2. beautiful scones! they look amazing thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous recipe, these look absolutely delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious flavors going into these scones and I love the fact that there's yoghurt here that makes it so appealing to me!Will be trying these out for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These scones look so good. I love that you added red plums to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun scone recipe...I am dying to see how the cardamom tastes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby, cardamom is my secret ingredient in almost all fruit baked desserts. It just adds a delicious hint of something that you can't put your finger on.

      Delete

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!