Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Kitchen Safety - Grease Fires

My dad recently sent me this video about kitchen safety. I couldn't watch the video for some reason, but I'm pretty sure this is the one he had sent.  I figured that it was definitely something that I should be writing about since some people still don't know what to do in the case of a grease fire. I was actually watching some cupcake show on the Food Network  yesterday when one of the women on the show was faced with this very common kitchen issue. She nearly blew up the sound stage which to say the least meant she didn't  handle the situation very well. Fire safety is pretty simple since there are really only TWO safe ways to put out a grease fire. The one thing you must always remember NEVER PUT WATER ON THE FIRE - I'm capitalizing the important stuff in case some of you are skimming over this post. Water can produce an explosive reaction which can be deadly. Baking flour or powder can produce a similar reaction - DO NOT TRY THIS PLEASE! A fire extinguisher is too powerful and can cause the grease to splash, it also doesn't have a cooling agent so fires can start up again after you think the flame has been extinguished. 
The only way to safely stop a grease fire is to ...
1. Place the metal lid on the pan or pot. 
2. Run a kitchen towel under water - then wring it out and place over the flame. 
3. * not as safe * sprinkling baking soda over the flame to extinguish 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!