Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

How to make vegetable soups - By MARK BITTMAN


My father in-law sent me this awesome recipe how to by Mark Bittman on how to easily cook vegetarian soups with out a rigid recipe. I'm a firm believer in that as well - I rarely follow recipes when creating one of my most beloved bowls of deliciousness . With a few good ingredients and a lot of love any soup will become a wonderful accomplishment. 


Bittman breaks it down in four categories. 
1. Creamy
2. Brothy
3. Earthy
4. Hearty


1- Creamy soups consist of pureed veg with addition of some butter and other dairy (milk, cream or yogurt).


2- Brothy soups start with a strained veg stock and other quick cooked veg added. 


3- Earthy soups contain beans and lentils.


4- Hearty soups build layers of flavor by sautĂ©eing  first. 


You can take any of these soups from vegetarian to meaty wonders by using a chicken, veal or beef stock or  by adding cooked shredded protein at the end.  In my opinion heart soups would contain beans and or lentils and earthy would contain roasted root veg, but I wouldn't argue with Mark he's a foodie literary legend!

* FROM TOP TO BOTTOM: 
Creamy Spinach, Squash and Ginger, Curried Cauliflower, Bean Soup, Chickpea & Pasta, Spicy Black Bean, Minestrone, Mushroom and Tomato Garlic. 



1 comment:

  1. This is a great tutorial! I looooove vegetarian soups. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!