Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Peanut Butter Granola Bars

I know everyone loves chewy granola bars. It takes you back to your childhood and reminds you that your favorite snack was always one of those Quaker chewy bars. Ok maybe not your favorite but I was seriously deprived of anything sweet and snacky when I was a child and any time I went to friends houses and we got granola bars I was a ridiculously happy camper.  These granola bars are dead simple and you can add or take away any nuts, dried fruits, butters you like. I used what I had and it worked out deliciously well.  


INGREDIENTS: 10" baking pan
1 egg white - beaten until fluffy 
1/2 cup natural chunky peanut butter 
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbs honey
1/3 cup grape seed oil or melted unsalted butter 
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup raisins or any dried fruit
1/4 cup chocolate chips 
1/2 tsp almond extract
pinch salt
parchment paper

PREP: Pre heat your oven at 350. Beat egg white until soft peeks form then fold in peanut butter, sugar, honey, almond extract, and oil and add pinch of salt. Then add in all dry ingredients and continue folding until everything is combined.
BAKE: Place parchment paper lining the bottom of the baking pan and cover with cooking spray. Then spread the mixture in an even layer tightly packed. Bake at 350 for 15 mins or until golden on top and around the edges. Let cool for at least 1 hour before cutting.

3 comments:

  1. What an ideal treat for my daughter to take to dance rehearsals! All the ingredients to fuel her up. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried making my own granola bars! This looks like a great versatile recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love homemade granola bars. Probably way more economic as well. These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!