Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I feel like pesto and shrimp - Brown rice fusilli & pan fried shrimp

Oh how I've waited for the day. My first seafood blog. Not the first time i've cooked seafood, just the first time I'm writing about it. I love shrimp! It's one of my favorite things in the world and I don't cook it at home anymore which is something I've really missed since I'm so damn good at it. Toot toot, yes that was me tooing my own, but at least I know what I'm good at. Being a Tomato Snob means I'm also a potato snob and quite possibly a food snob all together. While I won't turn my nose up at a shady whole in the wall restaurant if the food is fabulous. I will however turn my nose up at a plethora of other things. I value quality in ingredients and shrimps is at the top of my list. I'm super picky about where I eat these underwater delights. I happen to think the jumbo zipper back variety are part of the most regal of the crustaceans.  Obviously followed by lobster, crab, mussles, scollops and those sweet little oysters from PEI. Yes i'm a bad jew - I love seafood there it's out.  This day was even more exciting because it marked the beginning of what I think will be a very fruitful and beautiful relationship. I will get into this later, but I have something very exciting up my sleeve. I can't talk about it too much right now, but very soon hopefully these will be a lot more to blog about. Have I said too much already?
Fusilli with pesto and pan fried zipperback shrimp INGREDIENTS: 
2 bunches basil 
2 handfuls baby arugula 
1 cup grated parmesan 
4 cloves garlic - 2 for pesto 2 for shrimps 
lemon - juice
olive oil 
salt & pepper
zipper back or jumbo shrimps - raw 
paprika 
parsley
white wine - splash
PESTO: In blender, or handheld emersion blender add basil arugula splash of lemon juice parmesan s&p and stream olive oil into mixture until smooth. If texture is too thick add a bit of the pasta water. Will stay up to 4 days in the fridge. Perfect for spreading on sandwiches, or dilute mixture with more lemon juice and use it as a dressing for salads etc. 
SHRIMPS: defrost in a water bath and pat dry. I like to marinate my shrimps in finely chopped garlic parsley and paprika s&p. Let them sit for a few hours then pan fry for 2 minutes adding a splash of white wine and cook for another few minutes until pink and succulent. My partner Jovan likes to cook the shrimps naked and then toss them in garlic and a ton of paprika and parsley after they're done. Both ways taste good, but the consensus was the Tomato Snobs way this time. 
SERVE: Boil your pasta in super salty water, and add a drizzle of olive oil. Toss cooked pasta with a few large dollops of pesto - perfection. 

1 comment:

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!