Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Spicy carrot coconut soup

The lost post... Sometimes I write a bunch of posts and don't publish them right away. Friday afternoon I wrote a great post about feeding a vegan or vegetarian lunch without putting too much effort into it. I described one of my favorite Kensington bakeries and dished about using spices like ground toasted coriander and fennel using a mortar and pestle. I saved the post and returned back to it yesterday when I had time to upload my photo and add it to the article. However in doing so I ended up deleting the entire thing, making my boyfriend and I very late for a dinner with friends on the other side of town- GEEZE. Now i'll just have to save if for another post. The most important  part was all about the recipe for this delicious soup anyways. Spicy carrot and coconut soup. Great anytime 
of the year, and a real hit with the vegan crowd. 
INGREDIENTS: 
8 medium carrots - shredded
1 sweet onion - rough chop
3 cloved garlic - rough chop
1tbs ginger - minced
2 tsp toasted coriander - ground
2tsp toasted fennel - ground
6 cups water or veg stock
splash citrus - orange
1 can coconut milk 
olive oil
crushed red pepper - pinch or more if you like it hot
salt & pepper - to taste 
COOK: Sautee onions garlic and ginger add the spices s&p and cook until translucent. Add the carrots cook 5 mins. Add water or stock bring to a boil, then add the coconut milk. Let cook for another 5-10 mins. Reduce heat - puree everything transfer back into the pot, adjust seasoning and cook for 25 mins. Let sit for an hour before serving or overnight for best taste. Serve with chopped parsley or cilantro. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!